Author: Demetria Foster Gray
Publisher: Amazon Digital Services
Genre: Contemporary Women’s Fiction
The death of Nyla’s husband comes as a shock to everyone except Nyla. What’s shocking to Nyla is her inability to grieve his death like a typical loving wife should grieve. But Nyla isn’t a typical loving wife. She’s a woman in desperate need to breathe. The oxygen in her life has long gone, and the astonishing thing she feels from her husband’s death is relief, not grief.
Even more astonishing is the rare and unexpected friendship which develops between Nyla and her dead husband’s mistress. However, Nyla isn’t aware her new best friend is a former mistress. And as their friendship deepens into an unshakable bond, Nyla is forced to face secrets her husband took with him to his grave. This means she has to sift through mud to unravel the truth. A truth that’s better off dead.
Yet through it all, the one thing which makes Nyla violently breathless, is the exact same thing that causes her to finally breathe.
For More Information
- Sifting Through Mud is available at Amazon.
- Pick up your copy at Barnes & Noble.
- Discuss this book at PUYB Virtual Book Club at Goodreads.
What made you want to be a writer?
All the stories in my head that were wanting desperately to escape and roam around the world.
How did you come up with the title of the book?
I came up with “Sifting Through Mud” when I was brainstorming possible titles. I was immediately drawn to it because it had a certain vibe and unique ring to it that stood out over the other titles I was considering. Although, initially this title was used for one of my previous manuscripts, I found it better suited for the premise and characters of my debut novel.
What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Trying to keep the scenes and subplots flowing well without losing steam while keeping the characters interesting. I’ve had to cut out a lot of scenes that bogged down the story, which is hard for a writer to do because we’re deeply invested in the work we create. Eliminating any part of it is like cutting off an arm or a leg.
Give us three “Good to Know” facts about you. Be creative, you can talk about your first job, something that inspires you, anything fun that might grab the reader’s attention.
- I think everything tastes better with cheese on it (well, mostly everything).
- Fresh air and silence are my two best friends. I’m at my most peaceful, authentic self when I can breathe in fresh air and sit in complete silence.
- I’m a self-proclaimed “introvert unleashed,” which means I’ve stepped out of my introverted comfort zone to experience new heights in my spiritual, personal, and professional life.
Tell us a little bit about the cover art. Who designed it? What made you choose that particular image/artwork?
The cover art for my book was designed by Peter O’Connor at Bespoke Book Covers (bespokebookcovers.com). Peter is a true pleasure to work with. He has a very collaborative spirit, knowledgeable about book cover designs, and a very professional attitude. Peter creates a trusting environment in which you feel comfortable working within.
Peter offered the clay pots/planters image as one of the option for my book and I chose it because I wanted to have elements of growth to portray a message of new beginnings, new friendships, and also buried secrets. This coincides with the premise of the book where in Nyla’s life she has to sift through dirt/mud to uproot the truth behind undesirable circumstances in her life in order to replant seeds for new growth.
Demetria Foster Gray is a novelist, freelance writer, and communications consultant. She earned a degree in Marketing Communications and spent the bulk of her career writing for the corporate world. Creating fictional characters and building stories has always been her first love. A native of the Chicago, IL area, Demetria now lives in North Carolina with her husband and two children. Sifting Through Mud is her debut novel.
Visit Demetria at www.demetriafostergray.com
Her latest book is the contemporary women’s fiction novel, Sifting Through Mud.
For More Information
- Visit Demetria’s website.
- Connect with Demetria on Facebook and Twitter.
- Visit Demetria’s blog.
- Find Demetria on Goodreads
Demetria is giving away a $25 Amazon Gift Card and 1 Free Ebook copy of Sifting Through Mud!
- By entering the giveaway, you are confirming you are at least 18 years old.
- Two winners will be chosen via Rafflecopter to receive one $25 Amazon Gift Certificate and 1 ecopy of her book.
- This giveaway begins October 6 and ends on November 1.
- Winners will be contacted via email on Monday, November 3
- Winner has 48 hours to reply.
Good luck everyone!